Saturday, November 26, 2011

Proposal Story

I'm writing this post because several people have asked and it might cut the number of times I have to tell it down to 50 from 100. ;-)

I know I haven't blogged in a while, so here's a very abbreviated version of the backstory: Last year I started getting to know a young man named Alex over the internet, starting on a Christian filmmakers' forum. We got to know each other very well, in March he drove from his house in North Carolina to where I live in Georgia to meet, and we decided to date/court/whatever you want to call it. After hours and hours and hours of phone calls, hundreds of e-mails, many instant-messages, and half a dozen visits, he asked me to marry him last Sunday and I said yes. Here's that story.

My older sister and I went to visit Alex on Thursday. The day after that his water heater stopped working. So after two failed attempts to fix it when he got back from work Sunday (said failure was not his fault, by the way - he did everything right, but the plumber discovered another issue he couldn't have known about), we felt like getting out of the house for a while. We decided to go for a walk on the beach. It was overcast, but it cleared up some while we were there so we put a blanket on the sand and stargazed. I played with long shutter speeds on my camera for a while.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Then we just stargazed and talked. At some point Alex asked me what my biggest regret would be if I died that night. I told him, and he said his would be me not knowing how much he loves me. I was like, aw, that's nice. I'm cold; can we go soon?

 A couple of minutes later I got up to leave. Alex only got up partway; he stayed on one knee and took my hand. Then he said something along the lines of, "The best way I know to express it to you is this," and here a thought flashed through my mind: He's going to ask, isn't he? "Will you marry me?"

He caught me completely off guard. I really didn't expect him to ask anytime soon, despite being pretty sure he wanted to marry me. So I think I said, "I don't know" about half a dozen times while I thought about it (hey, I wanted to be sure). I also said, "I'm cold and I have to go to the bathroom." Romantic, right? But I'd known for sure for a time that I didn't want to ever leave him, so I finally said yes.

He slipped a replica of Nenya (Galadriel's ring from The Lord of the Rings) on my left ring finger. He asked how it fit and I said it was a little loose. Then I decided to experiment to see if it would come off (I didn't think it actually would, but I wanted to know. I didn't think this through near as thoroughly as accepting his offer of marriage) and shook my hand around. Surprise, surprise, it fell off and landed in the sand somewhere. We hunted around for a bit using his phone screen as a light and I was just about to put my camera flash to use again when he found it. Phew.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

So, we're both very excited and happy and planning our nerd-themed wedding. :-D

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is extremely epic! You crack me up, Kate. XD I'm SO excited for you both! Blessings and best wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete