Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fowl Beasts

Okay, here's Chai:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here are some of the others being led back to the corral after the ride -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

- and here are some before the ride:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've been house- and pet-sitting with my sisters since I got back from Colorado. We do this every now and then for a family when they go on vacation. They have goats, pigs, chickens, guinea fowl, seven dogs (five inside, two out), and a cat. We've been living on their popsicles and ice cream bars [slight exaggeration], coming up with more elaborate blockades to keep the pigs from escaping (which they keep doing), trying to keep the dogs from killing the guinea fowl when they get inside the fence, disposing of the one they got a hold of, collecting chicken eggs, sharing a bed with a three-legged pug who snores and a basset hound/beagle mix who sticks his tongue out when he sleeps, and watching lots of TV and movies. It's fun, aside from being slowly eaten alive by mosquitoes and the occasional ant every time we go outside.

I'm of the opinion that guinea fowl are some of the dumbest animals in creation, dumber than chickens. One repeatedly tried to fit through the holes in the chain-link fence. Obviously, only its head went through. Two or three perched on top of the fence. I ran toward them yelling, "Be gone, fowl beasts!" (I didn't want the dogs to eat them) (P.S. - Fowl is for birds. Foul is the way your gym socks smell. I was being punny) but they just looked at me for a few moments before hopping off. They have three now that one is deceased. They travel around the yard in a pack. Hopefully Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli won't take offense at the fact I've been referring to the guinea fowl by those names.

I did write a decent-sized second entry about the Moot, getting to the more personal aspects of it, but I'm not sure if I'll post it. I'll have to think about it some more. Here's a picture I took of the campfire.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Pretty horses! And campfire!

    And I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the moot, whether here or in a message or whatever. I am so glad that you enjoyed it. :-)

    ...Of course, with horses there, how could you not? :-P And I would be complaining about your usage of Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas's names, except that the mental images are amusing enough that I really don't mind. ;-)

    ReplyDelete