Monday, July 12, 2010

Teh Novel

I reached the point in my novel (like, three days ago) where that first burst of inspiration died and every other word was a struggle. So I didn't write much. Week two is always the hardest. While I was trying to figure out how to get a new burst, I decided to use a plot dare I'd kept in mind.

On Clean Place, there's a thread where people who participate in SuNo have to post at least five plot dares and choose five of other people's to incorporate into their novel (one crazy person uses every single dare posted, though I'm not sure what she does when they contradict each other, like one that says not to kill anyone and another that demands it). A plot dare is simply an element or plot twist (Examples: Make your main character mortally afraid of port-a-potties, have your characters go on a picnic in the middle of the night, have a character lose both of his/her arms; after someone lies, their pants light on fire; name a character Baltimore, etc.) We're not limited to using or posting just five, but we have to do at least five. One of them was, "Include a scene in your novel in which nothing takes place except a wild bird finds a French fry." I decided to use this and make the most of it, so I named the bird Alabaster Hermit King Crown Fish Lady Buck Androose Mormon Excalibur Santa Fe Marble Exit Home Range. I used the name four times. Instant word-count-booster.

Then I spontaneously added another character, a conflicted villain of sorts, whose name turned out to be Dustan, and sent him to kill Biddy and Simba (but I sure hope he doesn't succeed, because that would be, well, lame).

Okay, so he's not going to succeed.

My hero, Rex, wasn't turning out to have much muchness, so I had him break out of the facility he was being held captive in, but then I realized I needed him to stay there for a little while longer so he passed out.

No, I am not planning on putting this story in the public eye.

But I got going at a decent pace again, and made it to 22,092 words today...yesterday...July 12th.

In other news, my family watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tonight, which was very amusing. My dad bought it on DVD at Wal-Mart the other day, from the $5 bin, though we own both 1 and 2 on VHS. I have already mentioned on this blog that when I was a kid, I really wanted to be a ninja turtle. They were da bomb. My younger sister and I pretended to be them a lot. I was usually Raphael and she was usually Leonardo, but we switched things up every now and then. The stories we acted out generally had to do with me getting beat up (make-believe beat up). The bar in the basement that my dad put weights on was hollow, so we pretended that Splinter could look through said bar and read the minds of anyone he pointed it at. We were...imaginative children.

No comments:

Post a Comment