Saturday, July 10, 2010

11:53

3:10 PM I don't really know what to write today. Yesterday I was terribly depressed. I think I'll have to be more careful when I write from the points-of-view of psychologically disturbed characters. Biddy is a mess and it was getting to me, so I took a break from her POV and got in Simba's head. Both of them think a lot more than they talk. Very shortly after I asked for prayer on Clean Place, I felt significantly cheered and was able to reach my word goal for the day (18,000). The people on CP are my family. I'm so thankful for them. And I get to go spend a week with a number of them at a ranch in the Colorado mountains next month. Horses! Oh yeah.

Last night, a character I knew existed before I started writing entered the story.

*plays a game called Quelf, which turns out to be pretty much awesome, and then goes to church*

11:25 PM So. The character. His name is Terrence, he dresses like someone from the 1800s, and he talks a lot more than my other characters. He also likes to whap people on the head with a Bible and shout, "Repent!" even if they haven't done anything wrong.

I have about thirty minutes to finish this before it's Sunday.

I saw the movie Despicable Me this morning with my sisters and a couple of guy friends. It was very funny and loverly quirky. An animated movie I'm really looking forward to is Tangled. You can watch the trailer here:



I didn't work on my novel at all today, what with seeing a movie and playing a long board game and going to church. The board game, Quelf, was a lot of fun. I'd never played it before. It involved pulling cards and following their instructions, like pretending you're a ventriloquist, the person next to you is your dummy, and having a conversation with your dummy about the time you rescued them from a rabid pheasant. Another commands you to do an interpretive dance about a man who wakes up, goes to work, and discovers he has no pants on. It was amusing, to say the least. Someone ended up drawing a card that said no one could speak unless it was their turn, so we had an interesting time communicating in grunts and hand motions.

I'm reading Boneman's Daughter by Ted Dekker now. I started yesterday and am already halfway through it. It's good. I'm glad, considering I dislike Green so much that, though I started it last year, I still haven't gotten through it. I was a little worried all of Dekker's books might have gone downhill, but they haven't. He's one of my favorite authors.

Church tonight was interesting. I discovered that if I stand in the backish rather than stay in my chair after the meeting is sort of over, people actually come talk to me. My church (for lack of a better word, because the church is all of God's people) is going through a transition right now, which is good, because it had gotten rather stale and conformed. I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

I think, sadly, that my novel will have to stay at 18,000 words today. I need some sleep every now and then. ;) I hope you have an amazing remainder of your life.

2 comments:

  1. OK, really weird fact: last night Raquel came over, and she and Maranar described the game Quelf to Telpe and I (we'd never heard of it), and they talked about a time they'd played it.

    Then tonight I was talking to Kal for the first time in two months, and she said that when Mar, Telpe, and I go over to her apartment for dinner, she wants to borrow Quelf from a friend so we can all play it.

    And then I come and read your blog.

    I'd NEVER heard of this game before, and suddenly three totally disconnected people mention it in just over 24 hours. O_o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd! I think today is the first time I'd ever heard of it.

    ReplyDelete