Tuesday, June 29, 2010

SuNoWriMo

SuNoWriMo, or Summer Novel Writing Month, is Clean Place's version of National Novel Writing Month ( http://www.nanowrimo.org/ ). The first year we did it, the word goal was 15,000. The second, 30,000, and the third was either 40k or 50k; I don't remember which. I did it all three years. The goal is 50k this summer - to write a 50,000-word novel in the month of July.

Yes, you have to be a little crazy.

I conveniently had a dream this month that reignited one of my story ideas and the characters have even started arguing with me. This is a good sign. I haven't had characters talk to me in a while, but that's another story.

Did I mention crazy?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to a month of strong coffee and late nights spent hunched over the laptop keyboard, shivering in the AC as I pound out a work of sheer genius that, if I stake my career on it, will probably leave me living in a cardboard box off the freeway, as the crickets serenade me outside my window and my blood turns to ink (well, it would if I weren't using a computer), and my family opens my bedroom door every couple of days to make sure I'm still alive. It's always an adventure. Let's hope none of the sentences end up being that long.

The first year, my story was about some spiky-haired kid and a talking turkey. I never finished it. I stopped once I got to 15k. The second summer turned out a 61,000-word fantasy with a Frank Peretti twist, a novel so bad it'd send an editor into convulsions, but I did reach the end. I care a good deal for one of the characters (the villain, actually) and even wrote a sequel for that year's NaNoWriMo (2007, I think), but it's doubtful I'll ever touch it again (though said villain may be resurrected and relocated eventually). Last year I wrote a sci-fi/fantasy mix about colonization-gone-bad on a distant planet where things devolved to an almost medieval state-of-being in certain areas while others are more typical, sci-fi, dystopian-esque cities. I like that story and might edit/flesh out/etc. it at some point.

My story this year is about a blind superhero and illegal genetic engineering.

We did SuNoWriMo on Clean Place in 2006, 2007, and 2009. We did a different project in '08. I'm looking forward to beginning this summer's journey two days from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment