Friday, June 25, 2010

Hi

So, here I am, sitting at my desk, wondering what to write about. My thoughts don't organize themselves very well until the middle of the night, when I should be sleeping. At that point a dozen topics spring into my head and lay themselves out with a precision I only dream of at 11:27 in the morning.

The last couple of weeks have been unusually busy. First there was a week of driver's ed classes, and then Atlanta Fest. Atlanta Fest is a four-day (well, 3 1/4-day) music festival held at Stone Mountain every year. I went with two of my best friends from Clean Place (online writers' critique group). One of them lives in Georgia and the other flew in from Texas (in April, I flew to Texas to stay with her family for two weeks). We camped at Stone Mountain during the festival.

I was surprised, but in a good way, to discover that the overall theme of the festival was self-worth. So many people, especially teenagers, hate themselves or some thing or another about them. And some people are so busy making sure they don't puff up egos that they neglect to let others know how spiffin they are. Some people are so busy telling teens to get off their lazy butts and change the world that they neglect to tell them the things that will help them become the change - like how awesome they are in teh sight of God.

When it comes down to it, there is no room for self-loathing in the Kingdom of God. For one thing, we are to have the mind of Christ. And Christ certainly doesn't loathe us. I don't have to quote John 3:16 at you, do I? God is crazy about you.

The Bible says to love your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 19:19, Matthew 22:39, Romans 13:9, etc. etc.). Galatians 5:14 says, "The entire law is summed up in a single command: Love your neighbor as yourself." Most people fail to realize this means you have to love yourself. If you hate yourself, you can't follow this command. You won't be a very effective light in the dark if you want to tear your own guts out. I think some people just need to be told that it's okay to like yourself. Spending your days in misery because all you can focus on are your flaws, putting yourself down, beating yourself up - this does not make you a more righteous, pious person. According to that verse, it does the opposite, because it inhibits you from following it. God is molding you into His image - so learn to enjoy the ride. Too often we define ourselves by our mistakes rather than the lessons we learn from them. Thank Him for who you are and for who He's making you.

I have to go drive a car with an instructor person now. Au revoir.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Skillet, my favorite band. I saw them live for the third time at Atlanta Fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment